Saturday, June 30, 2007

Another 5k in the Florida heat

Ran a 5k this morning for Colon/Rectal Cancer awareness. Hot, humid Florida in late June. What was I thinking? The good news was I ran about as fast as I did last race. My time was about 26 minutes (about 8:30/mile, I think). However, my calf injury from a couple weeks ago flared up about 1/2 mile in - so I was glad my time was still good (for me), but my calf is now being iced and I'll probably concentrate on weights this week (which is probably overdue and neglected work that I need to do). Pretty pleased with my overall progress from slug to semi-athlete. Starting to recognize faces, too, which is kind of cool. And it was for a good cause. So, if you know people who are over 50, please remind them to get scoped to check for polyps, etc. Early detection is half the battle...Oh, and they took photos so I'll post that in the next few days. See how stupid Nicotine looks while running...haha.

Update: The photo looked so bad, I couldn't bring myself to buy it. But I saw the official results: I finished 20th of 61, 4th of 6 in my age group, avg of 8:25/mile and total time of 26:04, though I think it was 26:00 since it took me 4 or 5 seconds to get to the start line. Overall, a good experience and - since my goal is always progress - it was a success. Thanks for all the support!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on this one (well, except for the running part). My father has had colon cancer twice so that cause hits close to home. Hope the leg feels better soon and try to take it easy this week. :-)

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Nicotine Jones said...

Thanks! I hope that your father is doing better. My father had prostate cancer about a year ago and is doing very well, but luckily they caught it early...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com